Friday, June 22, 2012

Witnessing the power of this fully armed and operational motorcycle

Of course, when I say "power..." And, for that matter, "armed" or "fully... operational," what I really mean is "I've ridden to work more than once and I'm not dead, and Cub is in the same number of pieces as when I started." Let's make sure we set some appropriate standards for success, here.

I've added a few parts since last post:

  1. I installed the air hose, which dramatically changed the engine noise. With the air hose in place, and thus the air filter, the engine sounds a lot deeper than you'd expect from a 49cc. Granted., appropriate standards again- it sounds like a single cylinder small displacement, but it sounds like a small displacement that's as large or larger than the smallest gas lawn mower offered at Home Depot. No, really- I checked.
  2. I replaced the speedometer cable, which means I don't have to ride around with a handheld GPS zip-tied to the handlebars anymore. Since the top speed is so low, you could argue that the important improvement here is aesthetic... and, since it reads a little low, I did end up putting a sticker on to remind me to add a couple MPH, which looks a bit out of place. Still, I have a reading, and that's progress
  3. I installed a brake light lens, and I've got bulbs in the headlamp and tail lamp. So far only the brake light works, unfortunately, but I'm working on that a bit.
  4. I added a heavy spring to the rear brake pedal for return force. This has the unfortunate side effect of blocking the brake light switch, though- I also have a bad feeling that the spring and bracket combination I installed is going to harm the structure in the long run, so that'll change fairly soon.
I've still got to sort out the lights, and I'm having problems with the fasteners for various bits of trim and equipment of the "all non-standard sizes" variety... it's a bit frustrating, but I think I'll start looking for part numbers instead of just sizes that fit. I've also got a pretty nasty smoke cloud on cold starts, and an oil leak that makes me blush a little when we talk about the EPA at work... It's on my list, of course. I'm planning a full engine overhaul over the winter- new piston rings, new gaskets, proper valve seating, honing, etc. For now, though, I'm going to focus my attention on side cover knobs and mirrors- I think that having most of the Cub aesthetic will be nice, and being able to see the cars passing me while I slowly creep up to the speed limit will improve safety dramatically...


I have to say, some of the things on my list aren't exactly small, but overall I'd assess Cub as being in decent shape. I'm pretty proud of her- not exactly built for performance, but definitely fun to ride. And, of course, I can accurately claim that I've resurrected a vehicle from the dead- which is instant gearhead credit. I may even get enough done in the next year to justify entering Lost in the '50s next summer, despite the actual model year. How cool would that be?

-The Proprietor

No comments:

Post a Comment